Want to work at Camp Saulaine?
Every great summer camp program needs helpers and Saulaine has some of the best. Our Vads (counsellors) and CITs (counsellor-in-training) specialize in responsibility, adaptability, and always having a helping hand for a camper in need. If you are looking to spend some time at a great summer camp, while helping younger campers feel safe, then join Team Saulaine today.
*Please note that you must be a Canadian citizen or have a valid Canadian work permit to apply for a job at Camp Saulaine.
Here are some of the jobs available for Camp Saulaine 2016:
Head Girl Vad
Head Boy Vad
CIT (counsellor in training)
Putnu Sala helper
Interested? See below for brief job descriptions.
- 16 years+ old and have completed training as a CIT or have equivalent experience from working with children in other camps
- Supervise and care for a group of children (from ages 8 to 15), being responsible for ensuring the safety and well-being of each camper in your group, from 7:30 am until their bedtime, making sure that they feel safe and secure in their environment
- Participate fully in all planned activities and take initiative to create fun and meaningful experiences for the campers
- Follow all instructions and directions of the lead counsellors and camp supervisor, in accordance with the values of Camp Saulaine
Head Counsellors/Head Vads
- Have at least 4 or more years of being a counsellor at Saulaine or another Latvian camp with excellent leadership skills
- Assist with the camp program planning and scheduling
- Directly supervise the counsellors and counsellors-in-training, offering assistance, guidance and mentoring as needed, and effectively delegating appropriate tasks and responsibilities (example: delegate a female and male counsellor to work together to plan and lead a fun cooperative game for the evening activity, giving them sufficient time and support ahead of time)
- Solve problems and inform the supervisor/committee members of serious matters concerning safety of all campers and staff
- Model excellent leadership and communication skills, and, take initiative to create meaningful, fun activities with the counsellors before and during the summer camp session
- Have some experience leading a team of counsellors at Saulaine or other Latvian Summer camps and have ability for effective problem solving skills in this type of environment
- Assist in the creation of the camp activity schedule during the camp planning stage, 6 months before camp starts, attending regular meetings (this can be done through online conferencing and telephone communication when meetings are not attended)
- Supervise counsellors and lead daily/nightly meetings to debrief outcomes of and discuss daily routines and events during camp
- *Preferably someone who is a parent or experienced member of the camp community (27 years+)
- Responsible to be a “supply” staff for various areas of camp
- Provide for a variety of areas to prepare and ensure they are ready, tidy and safe
- A willingness to work in a team environment as well as be flexible and able to work independently
- Good time management is also a characteristic that will be expected.
- Be aware of and adhere to all camp regulations and policies.
- Ability to accept guidance, direction and supervision.
- Ability to understand and implement safety regulations and procedures
- Directly responsible to Assistant Property Manager
- Participate in all the daily functions of the kitchen service
- Maintain and keep the kitchen clean
- Keeping the floor clean by mopping periodically, sanitize all areas of the kitchen after cleaning, wash dishes, and help in food preparation
- Prepare basic beverages and foods, including snacks and vegetables
- Help Transfer and serve meals
- Prepare simple foods when the chef requires
- Willing to learn kitchen and cooking skills
- Follow personal and kitchen hygiene
- Having basic cooking and knife skills an asset
- Basic food handling and cleaning skills
- Have the stamina and interest in working hard